Thursday 8 April 2010

Cranks: the four leaf clover

Honestly? Well it was Masterchef of course. The finals. The tension. The puppy- eyed contestants.
 
Masterchef was an integral part of the wooing conversation with my now-boyfriend Richard as our relationship formed. I even made a 'masterchef comedown' mix cd to impress him. 14 months on, we huddled with buttefly-filled stomachs for Tim, Alex and Dhruv, and watched this year's series finale.

Alex, Masterchef's rabbit-in-the-headlights, technically brilliant freelance food writer, inspired me to do this blog. His idyllic home in rural cambridge, his suitably Sex and the City setup (mac, yoga stance, endless shelves of war-torn books) might not quite match the promise that my own surroundings do, but Alex and I have something in common: a passion for FOOD.

So, where to start. Childhood favourites? In a nutshell - Cranks.

I'm lucky enough to have spent the majority of my childhood in Totnes, just outside Dartington, home to the Cider Press centre and Cranks restaurant. Looking back, Cranks in the early 90's only worked in boho south devon. In my early teens I turned my nose up at cramped Greenlife health food store - it smelled. I even remember saying it smelled 'too organic'. Who knew 'the O word would become a mantra for post-delia tv cooks and rock and roll stars.

Back to Cranks. I'm still on the hunt for a clover-shaped cutter to truly recreate the cheese scones. A big O novice they were my favourite thing on the menu. And now? They still fill me with rich, dense joy.
I'm lucky to have landed in Bristol with Nicky, my teenage cycling buddy. We'd meet on Saturdays and get an unintended health kick with a 2 mile cycle from Totnes to Dartington. We'd take a walk in the gardens, sit on the bronze donkey then grab an ice cream from the Cider Press's wooden shack shops.

Nowadays, Nicky is the one I turn to when I have an ache for HP. Not the sauce, the pie. A cheesy potato slice of pure joy...

I realise I haven't mentioned meat yet. Cranks debuted another rareity when I was young - vegetarian food. And though I'm painfully, but definitely, a carnivore, Cranks taught me how to draw blood from all the other food groups.

We'll meat again....(promise). But now for something completely different...you'll never look Torode in the face again.

Nx
Cranks: the four leaf cloverSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

2 comments:

  1. Ilove this!
    Blogging doesn't get tougher than this!
    Well done mate xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natto,

    I’ve been surfing the web today and I stumbled across your rather eye catching Blog....“The Cat That Got The Cream” (I’ve also noticed you are in our blog awards, which is great!). My names Rob and I’m e-mailing on behalf of Dorset Cereals based in Dorchester. I really enjoyed reading through your site and I am pleased to see that you have a passion for good tasting food. I wanted to touch base and mention that we at Dorset Cereals are giving away a super new vintage style VW Camper Van in an online competition, which could provide your readers with a bit of outdoor fun or you with an escape or holiday option!!. I thought this exciting competition may be of interest to your blog readers and was wondering whether you would be interested in showing the competition link on your site (draw takes place on 2nd June – so not long to go!). If not then please don’t worry.
    If you wish to know more or would like to link up with us in any other way, please feel free to contact me at; robward@dorsetcereals.co.uk Otherwise there is information displayed about the prize draw on our website.
    P.S. I recommend sticking to holidaying in the West Country this year, less stress!!
    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete