Thursday 3 May 2012

30 minute miracles

About a year ago, 'the book man' came into my workplace. A few days later he returned with cardboard boxes full of copies of the same book. Most of the two adjoining offices had been swung by the rumours. It had turned into actual gossip. Everyone was talking about Jamie's 30 Minute Meals.

I have a huge pile of cookery books, many of which are looking sad, collecting dust and grease in my kitchen. But I've cooked more recipes from this book than any other. As I fell for the office gossip, I've become a bit of a preacher about this book myself....

Fear no evil

Everyone questions whether these meals can be done in 30 minutes. They can. But there's small print. 
You need  certain equipment to get you through. If you don't have a food processor you can pretty much rule out about 70% of the book. It's there to create the sauces, pastes, marinades which create the big flavours. It's also there for short-cutting the slicing and dicing when you don't have the knife skills of Senor Oliver.

The path of the righteous man

I'm boring old White British. We don't have a lot to sing and dance about when it comes to food unless you're willing to go foraging for regional produce on the roadside. So I don't have anything to be protective over when it comes to cuisine. I think everyone knows that, thanks to his surrogate father-son relationship with mentor Gennaro, Jamie's speciality is Italian. 
In this book, Jamie spreads himself pretty thinly. You're given elements of MediterraneanMalaysianThaiIndianMoroccanJamaican and Mexican. But don't expect 100% authenticity. On cooking the Satay recently, I was offered an alternative authentic recipe to try by somebody who had grown up in Malaysia and questioned Jamie's methods. So one recipe leads to another - bonus!

Praise be

So, my favourites? WITH a star rating? Oh, go on then...


I'm not on commission from Jamie (or Gowd) but I do worship at the altar of food. Enjoy!
Nx
30 minute miraclesSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

2 comments:

  1. I did the satay the other day, it was super yummy although the raw onion i used in the noodles was so strong it made our eyes water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that red onion will stay with you!

    ReplyDelete