Sunday 9 June 2013

Bristol BYOs

I love the concept of BYO. Choosing wine I know I like, for a price I'm happy to pay, and being able to drink the lot without feeling guilty or extravagant. 

Bristol is blessed with a generous number of BYO restaurants. Luckily for me, they tie in with being some of my favourite places to eat in the city. Here are my top three:


A cappella

Tiny Totterdown treasure tucked away on the Wells Road. A cappella is always busy, not least, I suspect, due to the continuing awards it receives. The staff are easy going and seem genuinely happy to work there. 

On every visit I see regulars popping in to say hello, tempted in on the off chance there might be a corner table (or the corner of someone else's table) available. 

It's family friendly, has outdoor space and does home delivery. The pizzas are oozy, delicious and satisfying - as warming as the atmosphere. The tapas is tasty, the cakes are wonderful and the lunchtime steak sandwich is to die for.


Sergio's

Sergio's special pizza and that risotto
I'm sticking my neck out here. I visited Sergio's for the very first time a couple of days ago but it's going in my list. 

After almost 6 years in Bristol I'm still working my way through all the eateries and with Mamma Mia up the road getting a solid green light a few months earlier, I felt drawn by Sergio's simple green canopy. It's easy to miss, hidden under Park Street's 'Banksy' bridge.

The menu says 'Bristol's friendly city centre restaurant'. That it is, but, having tasted my dinner and immediately contracting a severe case of food envy, the man in my life offered a rewrite or two: "Bristol's best risotto", oh and "one of the top 10 things I've (he's) ever tasted". Strong words indeed.

I had the wonderful porcini and asparagus risotto. For a no frills restaurant it's not especially cheap (my vegetarian risotto was just shy of £13), but for the freshness (it arrived piping hot from the kitchen, clearly just made with no nasty clagginess) and flavour, it's more than worth putting your hand down the back of the sofa. Besides, you've saved on the wine right?


Thai Garden

I've eulogised about this shining beacon of Bemmy's West Street for some time now. Thai Garden's pork and prawn dumplings are still in the running for my last meal on this earth. And though your heart sinks when you hear the PING of the microwave in the kitchen, the hospitality, perfect steamed rice and authentic flavours just make you shovel it in and shut up. 
Bristol BYOsSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment