Thursday 1 September 2011

My favourite cookbooks

#1 - My jotter 
Initially bought for taking to uni, ten years later it's rammed full of recipes on scrap bits of paper, splashed with fish sauce, melted butter and tomato puree.
This traditional exercise book, stolen from my sixth form college (sorry KEVICC) is a bible for favourites: my speciality lemon drizzle cake, cheat's pizza, bestest pad thai and the only spaghetti bolognese recipe I'll ever need. I should probably upgrade to a recipe binder but I'm really quite attached to 'natfish's recipes'.  



My sisters and I were each given a copy of this by our mum about five years ago. It's been in our family for much longer however, with an older version gracing her shelf for many years before.  It's the source of failsafes - Victoria sponge, Fish pie, lasagne... you name a classic recipe, there'll be something in there. It might not be haute cuisine, but it's pretty indispensible to my collection.



#3 - Cook Yourself Thin
I kid you not. This is a great little book. And where did this series disappear off to anyway? The closest I can get is following Gizzi on twitter. This has some great ideas for saving on calories without losing the flavour (no, i don't work for them). Plus, it taught me how to cook really nice fluffy fragrant rice.



#4 - The Cranks Recipe Book
I've told you my Cranks love story before. It's absolutely stunning food which has left a lasting impression on me. Don't be scared off by the vegetarian subtext. It's wholesome, warming food and for me, it smells like home. Get a copy for the homity pies, cheese scones, soups and fruit cakes. Delicious.

My favourite cookbooksSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment